As a landlord or homeowner, understanding the difference between a gas safety check and a boiler service is crucial. In this article, we will clarify these differences and outline the essential aspects of each service.
Gas Safety Checks versus Boiler Services
Although both services are related to your gas appliances, they serve different purposes:
Gas Safety Check
A gas safety check is a mandatory requirement for landlords and focuses on ensuring the safety and functionality of all gas appliances in a rented property. This check is carried out by a Gas Safe Registered engineer and includes:
- Testing the gas boiler, gas fire, and gas cooker.
- Ensuring the gas is burning correctly.
- Verifying the boiler is securely fitted and connected to the pipework.
- Checking for an adequate air supply and proper functioning of safety devices.
- Assessing the correct operating pressure for other gas appliances.
- Confirming the flues and chimneys are clear for safe gas transfer.
A Gas Safety Record (also known as a CP12 or Gas Safety Certificate) is issued after a successful gas safety check. This document contains details of the engineer, property, appliances tested, safety check results, any identified defects, and remedial actions taken.
A boiler service is a more comprehensive inspection of your boiler, carried out by a Gas Safe Registered engineer. This service goes beyond safety checks and includes:
- Inspecting the boiler according to manufacturer guidelines.
- Checking internal components, seals, and gaskets.
- Identifying signs of distress, repairing or replacing damaged parts.
- Cleaning dirt and debris from the system.
- Performing a ‘gas tightness’ test to detect gas leaks.
- Ensuring flues are unobstructed and properly sealed.
While boiler services are not legally required, they are highly recommended for maintaining the efficiency, safety, and longevity of your boiler.
The Importance of Regular Boiler Services
There are two essential points to remember about your boiler’s guarantee:
- A gas safety check does not satisfy your boiler guarantee requirements.
- Many manufacturers will only guarantee your boiler if it is serviced annually by a Gas Safe Registered engineer.
Regular boiler services help maintain the efficiency and safety of your appliance, prevent costly breakdowns, and ensure compliance with your boiler’s guarantee.
In summary, a gas safety check is a mandatory requirement for landlords and focuses on the safety and functionality of gas appliances in a rented property. In contrast, a boiler service is a more comprehensive inspection of your boiler, ensuring its efficiency and longevity. Regular boiler services are crucial for maintaining your boiler’s guarantee, preventing breakdowns, and promoting safety in your home.